Monday, January 5, 2009

Review - 1971 VW Bus




1971 VW Bus
I grew up with a love for VWs. Maybe it was because I spent my early years in a 70's Beetle or maybe they were just so unique that they caught and kept my attention. I always told myself that I would have an old VW when I had the means. I decided on a Bay Window Bus due to its relatively reasonable cost compared to an older split window Bus, excellent size, and availability. The 71 is the year to get for the following reasons:
The first year with front disk brakes, the last year with the Beetle's Type 1 engine. Starting in '72, the bus got the Pancake engine. This engine is more robust, but more expensive if you have an issue. The Type 1 engines are everywhere and parts and repairs are quite affordable and plentiful.
I found my bus in a nearby town being sold by a father of two that needed something more modern and with A/C for his little kids to ride in. It had been somewhat neglected maintenance-wise and I spent a good bit of cash getting the maintenance up to snuff, fixing brakes, and attempting to make the tired engine run better. It started and ran reliably, but the engine was weak. I decided to get a new engine and ordered one from Blodgett's in California for a pretty reasonable $800.
My bus is the Transporter version with 3 rows of seats and 7 passenger capacity. I wanted to be able to haul friends and stuff for trips to the beach or whatnot, so I chose this version over the Westy camper version.
Old VWs are the essence of simplicity. Air cooled engine no AC, heat that works off of the exhaust, these things were made to be driven and are tough and simple. My mechanic loves working on my bus and calls it a lawn mower engine. You won't set any land speed records past the first 30 feet, but it goes and gets to where it needs to be.
Lots of room for people and the people's gear. I recently rolled it to Destin, FL with 4 girls and all of their gear for a weekend. We were loaded to the ceiling, but we had room enough for everything.
It is a little loud on the road at speed. Between the engine revving at a good clip at highway speeds and the shape cutting through the wind like a bread truck.

You can't beat the uniqueness of an old VW. The bus was the first minivan and one that doesn't make you look like washed up soccer mom.

10 out of 10 and I am biased.

1 comment: